Fill in the blanks on Pollution of Air and Water for class 8th (VIII)1. The contamination of air by unwanted substances which have a harmful effect on both the living and the non-living is called -----------.
Ans: global warming
4. ______________accumulates in body fat and travels up the food chain.
5. _________________results in the death of birds & aquatic animals.
Ans: oil spills
6. ____________________depletes the ozone layer.
7. _________________is a clean fuel.
8. Water fit for drinking is called_________________.
Ans: potable water
9. ________________is celebrated in the month of July every year
Ans: van mahotsav
10. ____________________causes acid rain.
Ans: sulphur dioxide
11. _______________________causes excessive growth of algae in water bodies.
Select the correct answer. There can be more than one correct answer.
1. Natural sources of air pollution are:
A. Forest fires
B. Volcanic eruptions
C. Dust storm
D. Smoke from burning dry leaves
A. Carbon dioxide
B. Carbon monoxide
3. Acid rain is due to
B. Oil slick
C. Oxides of sulphur
D. Nuclear warheads
4. Pollution is not caused by the use of:
A. Solar energy
C. Fossil fuel
D. Unsaturated hydrocarbons
5. Refrigerators and air conditioners have one of the following gas:
A. Hydrochloric acid
D. Sulphuric acid
6. Which of the following is greenhouse gas?
7. The effect of pollution is first and most marked on
A. Natural flora of a place
B. Air quality
C. Natural geochemical cycles
D. All the above
8. Which of the following is of maximum threat to human being?
A. Depleting forest
B. High population and pollution
C. Spread of Aids
9. Which of the following are environments - friendly practices?
A. Carrying cloth bags for shopping
B. Using alternate source of energy
C. Switching off unnecessary lights and fans
D. Covering short distances by walk
10. D.D.T. is
A. Non-biodegradable pollutant
B. Bio-degradable pollutant
D. None of these
11. Ozone hole is largest over
12. Carbon monoxide is a pollutant because it
B. Reacts with hemoglobin
C. Causes burning of eyes
D. Inhabits photosynthesis
13. Fertilizer washed into rivers can cause excessive growth of
D. Sea snakes
14. Smog is mixture of which sunstance
A. smoke and fog
B. sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide.
C. oxygen and nitrogen
D. Dust and Fog
15.When Ganga Action Plan was launched to save Ganga River
Answer the following questions in brief.
Ans: it can kill aquatic life