Very short answer questions
Ans: Metal can be beaten into thin sheet. this properties oh metal is called malleability. Gold is the most malleable metal.
2. Name a metal exist in liquid state
Ans: Mercury is a metal that exist in liquid state at room temperature.
3. Which metal is the best conductor of electricity?
4. Name the metals ha highest melting pint.
5. Name the lightest metal
6. Which is the only non metal that can conduct electricity?
7. Name the two non metals that are lustrous
Ans : Graphite and iodine
8. What are allotropes?
Ans: Two or more form of same element which differ in properties. Diamond and graphite are two allotropes of carbon
Metals react with oxygen to form metallic oxide
2. Magnesium and aluminium react quickly with oxygen: False
Sodium and potassium react quickly with oxygen so they are stored in kerosene oil
3. Metals react with water to form metal oxide: True
4. All metal react with bases: False
Most of the metals do not react with bases. Only Zinc, lead and aluminium only react with strong bases like NaOH and KOH
5. Non Metal react with air at room temperature: False
Non Metal reacts with air on heating
6. Non metal do not react with water: True
Name the metals and Non metal used for:
1. Filling electric bulb – Argon
2. Constructing bridge: - Iron
3. Making electric wire: - copper and aluminium
4. Making foil for wrapping food: - Aluminium
5. Making pencil leads: - Graphite
6. Making x-ray shield and bullets: - lead
7. Water purification: Chlorine
8. Filled in electric tube and glow sign: - Neon
10. Preserve blood and other donated organ: - Nitrogen
Answer these question:
1. Why are musical instrument and bell made up of metal?
Ans: Musical instrument and bell are made up of metal because metal produce ringing sound when struck by something.
2. Why are electric wire made up of copper?
Ans: Electric wire is made up of copper because copper is god conductors of electricity.
3. Why sodium and potassium stored in kerosene?
Ans: Sodium and potassium react quickly with oxygen at room temperature so they are stored in kerosene oil
4. Why is phosphorous stored under water?
Ans: phosphorous rapidly burn in air at room temperature so it is stored under water for safety.
5. Why silver and gold do not react with hydrochloric acid?