Sample Questions in Social Sciences
1. Which of the following pairs is correctly matched?
1. ILO - London
2. ICJ - Hague
3. UNESCO - Washington
4. WHO - Paris
2. Arrange the following Indo-Pak events in correct chronological order.
A. Creation of Bangladesh
B. Tashkant Declaration
C. Simla Agreement
D. Lahore Declaration
Which order is correct?
1. A C D B
2. B A C D
3. D B A C
4. A B C D
3-4 Direction: Read the following statement and answer the questions that follow.
"India with over 2 percent of the world's geographical area is inhibited by
16 percent of the world population".
3. From the above statement, it is inferred that in the world population almost every
1. 5th person is Indian
2. 6th person is Indian
3. 7th person is Indian
4. 8th person is Indian
4. Which of the following countries fits in a completely reverse position explained in
the above statement?
3. United Kingdom
5. Which pairs are correctly matched? Select the correct alternative.
a. Brahmo Samaj - Dayanand Saraswati
b. Arya Samaj- Vivekananda
c. Ramakrishna Mission - Raja Ram Mohan Roy
d. Aligarh Movement - Syed Ahmed Khan
e. Veda Samaj - Cembeti Sridharlu Naidu
1. a and d
2. b and e
3. d and e
4. c and d
6. Some persons and events are stated below:
A. Warren Hastings I Theosophical Society of India
B. Col. Olcott II Duel Government in Bengal
C. Lord Ripon III The French Revolution
D. Tipu Sultan IV The Local Self Government
Which of the following indicates the correct matching of the above
1. A I B. II C. Ill D. IV
2. A II B. III C. II D. I
3. A II B. I C. IV D. III
4. A IV B. II C. I D. III
7. Stated below are some statements.
a. The Modern Age suddenly came into existence
b. The Renaissance emphasized the value of reason and scientific temper in life.
c. The Industrial Revolution in England led to the decline of Cottage Industries in India.
Which statements are true?
1. a and b
2. b and c
3. a and c
4. a, b and c
8-9. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow.
The later part of the eighteenth century saw two revolutions, which played an
important role in the making of the modem world.
The first one involved English Government against its thirteen colonies. Most of
the people settled in these colonies had come from England.
8. The passage is referring to two revolutions. Which of the following are these?
1. Russian Revolution and French Revolution
2. American Revolution and French Revolution
3. American Revolution and Chinese Revolution
4. French Revolution and Chinese Revolution
9. Which of the following Revolutions is related to the thirteen English Colonies?
1. Russian Revolution
2. American Revolution
3. Industrial Revolution
4. French Revolution
10. A volcano erupts on the ocean floor and a ship is located on the oceanic surface
very close to the epicentre. Which one of the following conditions will the ship
1. get toppled
2. drift away
4. not much of a change
11. Read the following statements
A. The towns in Canadian prairies developed after the construction of
Canadian Pacific Railway.
B. Most of the Cities of India were connected by railways after these had
Which one of the following is correct?
1. A is true, B is false
2. A is false, B is true
3. Both A and B are true
4. Both A and B are false 12
12. Which one of the following sequences of the atmospheric layers will a space shuttle
encounter while returning to the earth?
1. Ionosphere, Mesosphere, Stratosphere, Troposphere
2. Mesosphere, Stratosphere, Ionosphere, Troposphere
3. Stratosphere, Ionosphere, Mesosphere, Troposphere
4. Ionosphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Troposphere
13. Given below are some characteristics of a region.
a. Rainfall is scanty
b. Difference between day and night temperature is high
c. Very little vegetation is found
Which of the following regions has all these features?
14. Given below is the scale, which shows in sequence the limits of crust, outer mantle, inner
mantle, outer core and inner core represented by 1,2,3,4 and 5 respectively. Which of
the following scales represents the correct pattern of measurement?
15. Read the following:
a. 80% of forests have been cleared.
b. A quarter of world's mammals are at risk of extinction.
c. Global warming will trigger a devastating rise in sea levels.
Which of the following best explains all of the above?
1. Increasing industrialization
2. Large scale urbanization
3. Increased human activity
4. Large scale mechanizatio
Solutions to Questions on Social Science
Q.No. Key Rationale
1. 2 International Court of Justice is located at Hague.
WHO is not at Paris, UNESCO at not at Washington, and ILO not at London.
Therefore alternative 2 is the answer.
2. 3 Lahore Declaration took place in 1929, Tashkent Declaration in 1966, creation
of Bangladesh in 1971, and Shimla Agreement in 1972. Therefore alternative 3
is the answer.
3 2 16% of the World Population means 1/6th of the population, which implies that
every 6th person is an Indian.
4 4 Australia has a large area of land but is sparsely populated. All the other three
countries are thickly populated. Therefore, the answer is alternative 4.
5 3 The answer key gives the clue.
6 3 Warren Hastings was associated with dual Government in Bengal, Col. Olcott
with Theosophical Society of India, Lord Ripon with the Local Self
Government and Tipu Sultan with the French Revolution. The answer
therefore is at alternative 3, which shows the correct matching.
7 2 In this question you have to reason out which statements are true. Here the first
statement is not true, as the Modern Age could not come into existence
suddenly. Hence, alternative 2 is correct which shows that statements b and c
8 2 This question is based on a given passage. You have to find out which
revolutions the passage is referring to. For the first revolution the hint is given
in the passage. It involved 13 English Colonies, where the settlers were from
England. You will realize that their colonies were located in America. So one
Revolution is American Revolution, and the second one is French Revolution
as it was important in shaping the modern world. The Russian Revolution and
the Chinese Revolution took place in 20 th Century only. So the answer is
9 2 This question is related to the first question. You can reason it out because the
13 colonies mentioned here were in America. So the answer is 2. 14
10 4 The rest of the questions you may reason out yourself.