1. Pigeon pea is a good source of................(protein)
2. Berseem is an important..................... (fodder)
3. ..................are rich in vitamins.(vegetable/fruits)
4. _________ Crops are grown in winters. (rabi)
Ans. Some of the important traits in improved crops are:
1. high yield 2. improved quality 3. high resistance
4. wider adaptability 5. desirable agronomic traits
Q3 Why is excess use of fertilizers detrimental for environment?
Ans.Excess use of fertilizers has many bad effects like:
1. salination of soil 2. eutrophication 3. excess minerals in crop plants
2. xanthium and parthenium are called.(weeds)
3. causal organism of any disease is called.(pathogen)
4. Farming without the use of chemicals. (organic farming)
5. planting of soyabean and maize in alternate rows in the same field .(intercropping)
Q6 What is vermicompost?
Ans. It is a manure rich in pulverized organic matter and worm castings.It is prepared using earthworms. It is a quicker method of composting. Earth worms are seperarted and the Compost is ready for use.
Q7 Explain the term bio fertilizers.
Ans. Living organisms like nitrogen fixing bacteria, blue green algae and minerals solubilising bacteria are called bio fertilizers. Eg. Blue green bacteria,( nostoc, anabaena etc.)
Q8 Name two varieties of Indian fish
Ans. Fresh water : catla, rohu
Marine fish : hilsa , sardine
Ans. Indigenous : aseel, basra
Exotic : rhode Island Red, white leghom
Q10 What are advantages of composite fish culture?
Ans.Composite fish culture is the practice of growing 5 to 6 species of fish in the same Fish tank. It includes the use of surface feeders, middle zone feeder and bottom Feeder.
It has the following advantages:
1. no competition for food or space.
2. proper utilization of food
3. fish yield is high.
Q11 Name two exotic breeds of cows
1. holstein- friesian 2. brown swiss
Ans. Chickens which are about 7-8 weeks of age and are raised for meat.
Q13 What is roughage?
Ans. It’s a course and fibrous substance which has low nutrient content .e.g. fodder,hay and straw
Q14 Name some symptoms of sick animals:
1. inactive 2. look tired 3. remain isolated 4. low yield
Q15 Define animal husbandry.
Q16. Define Mixed cropping
Ans. The technique of growing two or more different crops together in same field is Called mixed cropping. Eg. Ragi and gram, maize and urad bean etc.
Q17. Define intercropping.
Ans. Growing two or more crops simultaneously in different strips in a same field in definite row pattern is called intercropping. Eg. Soyabean,maize, cow pea.
Q18. Define crop rotation
Ans. Growing different crops on the same piece of land in a pre planned succession Is called crop rotation. Eg rice- wheat.
Q19. What is biological pest control?
Ans. In this method, some birds, insects etc are deliberately put in the affected field. They destoy the pests in the field.
Q20. What are weeds and why are they unwanted?
Ans. The plants which grow along with the cultivated crop are called weeds. They are Unwanted as they compete with the main crop for nutrient, space, sunlight etc.
Q21. What are layers?
Ans. Hens raised for egg production are called layers. They start laying eggs at the age of 20 weeks.
Q22. What is mariculture?
Ans. Culture of marine fin fish,shell fish and sea weeds is called mariculture. Mariculture is growing rapidly as the demand for fish is increasing while the Stock is declining due to excessive exploitation from sea.
Q23. Why are Italian bee varieties preferred?
Ans. The concentrates are rich in nutrients with very little fibrous or cellulose matter. They are rich in carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals and vitamins. Eg oil cakes, grains etc.
Q25. What is culture fishery?
Ans. It is cultivating , rearing and harvesting of fish. It is also called fish farming. Or pisciculture. The growing of various types of aquatic organisms in water bodies is called aquaculture.